All Chicago residents responsible for a vehicle (driving, parking, leasing, and/or owning) in the City of Chicago are subject to the Chicago Wheel Tax and must purchase a Chicago City Vehicle Sticker. This includes Chicago residents that maintain their registration outside of the City of Chicago but use the vehicle in the City.
You must purchase a Vehicle Sticker with the Office of the City Clerk within 30 days of residing in the city or acquiring a new vehicle to avoid late fees and fines.
Revenue from the Chicago City Vehicle Sticker Sales Program funds the repair and maintenance of more than 4,000 miles of Chicago streets.
The chart below lists the annual price of each license type. Pricing is prorated based on the duration options offered to you at the point of sale. Your assigned license type is determined by your Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) and the make and model in the State Vehicle Registration ID Card.
|Vehicle Body Type||License Type||Annual Price|
|Vehicle with curb weight of 4,500 lbs or less with a payload capacity of 2,499 lbs or less||Passenger (P)||$90.88|
|Vehicle with curb weight of 4,501 lbs or more with a payload capacity of 2,499 lbs or less||Large Passenger (LP)||$144.33|
|Vehicle, Truck, pickup truck with closed or open bed, or van with a gross weight of 16,000 lbs or less or with a payload capacity of 2,500 lbs or more||Small Truck (ST)||$213.82|
|Truck or vehicle with a gross weight of 16,001 lbs or more with a payload capacity of 2,500 lbs or more||Large Truck (LT)||$481.10|
License type classifications are descriptors of your vehicle’s weight class and not necessarily indicative of your vehicle’s body type. .
The Office of the City Clerk reserves the right to void any order – and void shipment of the order – if it is determined a purchase was made fraudulently.
Online orders CANNOT BE CANCELED.
Vehicle Stickers are only eligible for refunds in the case of duplicate sticker purchases or if the Office of the City Clerk determines the sticker has invalid information on it.
The Office of the City Clerk shall not be held liable for any improper or incorrect use of the information described and/or contained herein and assumes no responsibility for anyone’s use of the information.
If you ordered your Vehicle Sticker online or by mail but never received it, you may be eligible for a free replacement.
Vehicle Stickers purchased online should arrive within 10-12 business days. If 12 or more business days have passed since you ordered your Vehicle Sticker online, or if more than 30 days have passed since you ordered your Vehicle Sticker by mail, please call us at 312-74C-LERK (312-742-5375) to determine if your Vehicle Sticker was returned to our office as undeliverable.
If your order was returned to us, we will verify your correct address and mail it to you once again.
If we determine your order may have been lost in the mail, you may be eligible to receive a free replacement. To apply for your replacement, you must complete an affidavit form (link) and bring it to a City Clerk location along with your photo ID and proof of your current address.
If you still do not receive your Vehicle Sticker or Residential Daily Permits after the Office of the City Clerk has attempted to mail it to you twice, you must visit a City Clerk location to receive your replacement with your photo ID and proof of your current address, and you may be subject to a $5 administrative fee. Stickers and passes reported lost or never received 90 days or later from the purchase date are not eligible for reissue or refund.
All Chicago City Vehicle Stickers expire on the last day of the month. Our office offers a 30 day grace period to purchase your City Vehicle Sticker without a late fee or back charge.
NOTICE REGARDING TICKETS: Beginning October 1, 2019, the grace period for tickets will be reinstated to 15 days. Hence, a vehicle with an expired City Vehicle Sticker may receive a ticket the 16th day after the City Vehicle Sticker expires.
For example, if your City Vehicle Sticker is labeled 5/22 it expires May 31st of 2022. In this example, you would have until June 30th, 2022 to purchase your City Vehicle Sticker without a late fee or back charge. However, you could start receiving tickets on June 16th every 24 hour period until you purchase and display your City Vehicle Sticker.
The Office of the City Clerk offers convenient options for you to buy your City Vehicle Sticker online, by mail, or in person.
Renewing your Vehicle Sticker is easy with your Courtesy Renewal Reminder. The Office of the City Clerk makes every effort to reach Chicagoans to remind them that their City Vehicle Sticker (Wheel Tax) is due for renewal. Unfortunately, despite our best efforts, sometimes these reminders are not received.
Please note that the mailed renewal reminder is a courtesy extended by our office. Lack of mailed notice does not warrant any waiver of late fees and/or fines from tickets stemming from late renewal of a Vehicle Sticker.
As such, please be mindful of the expiration date printed on your Vehicle Sticker. Even though there is a grace period after your sticker’s expiration date which allows you to purchase without penalties for 30 days, you may receive a ticket the 1st day after the Vehicle Sticker expires.
If you no longer own the vehicle listed on your renewal form and have a new vehicle, you may need to transfer your sticker.
If you are buying a Vehicle Sticker for the first time, we will need documentation from you.
Purchase a Vehicle Sticker in Person
To purchase a Vehicle Sticker in person, please bring the following:
- Chicago City Vehicle Sticker Courtesy Reminder
- State Vehicle Registration ID Card, which includes your Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) and license plate information (in-state or out-of-state registrations are acceptable)
- A photo ID
- Proof of current address
Purchase a Vehicle Sticker by Mail
Follow the instructions on your Chicago City Vehicle Sticker Courtesy Renewal Reminder to renew by mail. If you did not receive a Courtesy Renewal Reminder, please provide your vehicle documentation in person or by email to email@example.com.
Purchase a Vehicle Sticker Online
Click the button below to purchase new Vehicle Stickers online.
Please allow 10 business days for delivery via USPS. If you have not received your order in the mail after 10 business days, please contact us at 312-742-5375.
If you have a new vehicle and did not receive a Chicago City Vehicle Sticker Courtesy Reminder, or if your vehicle make, model, license plate or VIN is printed incorrectly on your Chicago City Vehicle Sticker Courtesy Reminder and you want to become eligible to buy your Vehicle Sticker online, please do the following:
- Locate your valid driver’s license or state ID AND current State Vehicle Registration ID Card. If you are a new Chicago resident or recently acquired a vehicle please read the section about grace period documentation requirements to avoid late fees.
- Photograph and send these items to firstname.lastname@example.org. Within 2-3 business days, we will send you a new reference number and enable you to buy online via EZ>BUY.
Please ensure that all information is legible in order for us to create the record.
When you relinquish ownership of a vehicle and obtain a new vehicle (different VIN), you can transfer the Vehicle Sticker from your old vehicle to your new vehicle at an Office of the City Clerk location.
NOTE: Car dealerships, Department of Finance and third-party sales locations cannot perform transfers.
To transfer your Vehicle Sticker to another vehicle, please bring in the following documentation:
- Your old Vehicle Sticker, regardless of its conditions
- Your State Vehicle Registration ID Card AND proof of purchase date for the new vehicle, such as a bill of sale
Please note the following:
- The transfer fee is $5 when the sticker type does not change. An additional upgrade fee for a different type of Vehicle Sticker may be required (e.g., if you upgrade from a sedan to an SUV).
- Vehicle Stickers are NOT transferable between individuals or companies. If the Vehicle Sticker displayed on your vehicle was purchased by the previous owner, or the Vehicle Sticker displays your old vehicle information, you are subject to fines for not complying with the Chicago Wheel Tax. You must transfer your Vehicle Sticker at a City Clerk location – dealerships and other entities cannot transfer Vehicle Stickers.
- If your Vehicle Sticker for your old vehicle is expiring in less than two months, you will be subject to pay your renewal fees at the time of the transfer.
Same Vehicle, Different License Plate?
If you received a new license plate on a vehicle for which you already have a Vehicle Sticker, please visit a City Clerk location and provide your updated plate registration. There is no additional cost to update your plate number. You must provide your old Vehicle Sticker, regardless of its condition, in order to receive a new sticker for an updated license plate. If your Vehicle Sticker is due to expire within two months or less, you must purchase your renewal sticker with the updated plate number.
If you are a new resident to Chicago, you must purchase a Vehicle Sticker. If you obtain a new vehicle you must purchase a Vehicle Sticker or transfer your Vehicle Sticker to your new vehicle.
If you are a new resident to Chicago or your vehicle is new to you (or both), avoid late fees and only pay for the time you began your residency/purchase date through the sticker expiration date by providing, via email or in person, one of the following items in addition to your vehicle information:
- Lease document proving date of lease of residential property
- Mortgage document or deed proving purchase date of residential property
- Bill of sale from a bona fide vehicle seller/dealership
- Executed vehicle title document (in lieu of bill of sale from bona fide vehicle seller/dealership) – must include VIN
- Customer-copy of a validated Illinois Department of Revenue Official Form: ST-556
- Customer-copy of a validated Illinois Secretary of State Official Form: VSD 190
NOTE: You are subject to the Wheel Tax on the exact date you begin your residency in Chicago and/or acquire a new vehicle, and your City Vehicle Sticker Term Start will be the first of the month in which you reside in Chicago or acquired your vehicle. The date your document was processed/printed/stamped by the issuing entity is irrelevant. Please ensure that the purchase date or date you established residency is clearly indicated on your valid documentation.
New records – by default – include a $60 late fee ($30 for senior-discounted Vehicle Stickers) as well as possible monthly prorated back charges. The date your documentation was processed/printed/stamped by the issuing entity (e.g., the Illinois Secretary of State, Illinois Department of Revenue, etc.) is irrelevant to the City Vehicle Sticker Term Start. Please ensure that your move-in/purchase date is clearly indicated on your valid documentation.
To replace your Vehicle Sticker in the event it was lost, stolen, or placed on the wrong vehicle, you must bring the following documentation to a City Clerk location and pay $5:
- Police report
- Photo ID that matches the name on the Vehicle Sticker record
If your vehicle’s windshield was damaged or replaced, you must surrender your old Vehicle Sticker or provide a bill for the windshield replacement and pay $5; a police report isn’t needed.
If we determine your order may have been lost in the mail, you may be eligible to receive a free replacement. To apply for your replacement, you must complete an affidavit form and bring it to a City Clerk location, along with your photo ID and proof of your current address.
Disclaimer: If you still do not receive your Vehicle Sticker after the Office of the City Clerk has attempted to mail it to you twice, you must visit a City Clerk location to receive your replacement with your photo ID and proof of your current address, and you may be subject to a $5 administrative fee.
Per City Ordinance, residents that meet the requirements below are eligible to purchase one discounted City Sticker at $32.08 per year for a Passenger (P), Large Passenger (LP) or Motorbike (MB) and one discounted City Sticker at $135 per year for a Small Truck (ST).
Requirements and Restrictions for Senior Discounts:
- Unexpired Illinois Driver’s License or State ID
- Name on Driver’s License that matches name on vehicle registration;
- 65 years old or older by the Sticker Term Start. In the case of new vehicles/residents, Term Start is the first day of the month in which you purchased the vehicle or moved to the City of Chicago. In the case of renewals, Term Start is the day after your current City Sticker expires.
- One discount on Passenger (P) or Large Passenger (LP) vehicle (pickup trucks and large vans categorized as Motorbike (MB) do not qualify; check Courtesy Reminder for Vehicle Type); AND,
- One discount on a small truck (ST)
If you believe you are eligible based on the requirements above, please email a copy of your unexpired Illinois Driver’s License or State ID and a copy of your vehicle registration to email@example.com, or present your Illinois Driver’s License or State ID and vehicle documentation at a sales location.
If you received a Courtesy Renewal Reminder that did not include the senior-discounted price, but you qualify per the eligibility requirements outlined above, and wish to purchase by mail please send the following items to our office: your Chicago City Vehicle Sticker Courtesy Reminder, for the amount listed on the courtesy reminder, and a copy of the front and back of your Illinois driver’s license.
Residential Zone Parking may be added for an additional price ($25 per year; prorated for varying durations) if you reside in a Residential Parking Zone.
To receive a senior discount on a new vehicle before the expiration date of your current senior-discounted City Sticker, you must present your Illinois Driver’s License or State ID, old City Sticker, and new vehicle registration at a City Clerk location and request a City Sticker Transfer.
An Antique Vehicle, or show vehicle, is an automobile that is 25 years or older and used exclusively for shows or exhibitions. To qualify for an Antique Vehicle (AV) emblem, the vehicle must have an Illinois antique motor vehicle (AV) license plate. However, antique vehicles used for everyday, non-exhibition purposes do not qualify for this discount and should display a Chicago City Vehicle Sticker, purchased at regular price. Vehicles with the Antique Vehicle emblem cannot park on any city streets without the risk of being ticketed for non-compliance with the Chicago Wheel Tax.
This discount is only offered at Chicago City Clerk locations.
No-Fee Disability Sticker
As a continuing service to our disabled constituents and in accordance with City Ordinance, the Chicago City Clerk offers a No-Fee City Vehicle Sticker to persons with a qualifying disability. The Annual Residential Zone Parking feature may be added at no additional cost for those living in a Residential Parking Zone.
Please download the Disability City Vehicle Sticker form to see eligibility requirements and to apply.
Mail or deliver all contents of the application to:
Office of the City Clerk
Attn: Disability Sticker
121 N. LaSalle St, Room 107
Chicago, IL 60602-1295
No-Fee Charitable Vehicle Sticker
No-Fee Charitable (NFZ) stickers are for tax-exempt organizations with vehicles that hold 11 or more passengers and are used only for the purpose of transportation of passengers; not cargo, materials, or equipment.
To receive a No-Fee Vehicle Sticker, the applicant must provide the following documentation:
- A current copy of the State Vehicle Registration ID card for a vehicle that hold 11 or more people (typically a large van or bus; small to mid-sized passenger vehicles do not qualify for NFZ stickers);
- A Charitable Vehicle (CV) license plate, as indicated on the vehicle registration; AND,
- A tax-exempt letter issued by the Illinois Department of Revenue or the Federal government indicating that the organization is a not for profit organization with 501(c)(3) status.
No-Fee Veteran Sticker
Starting on February 1, 2019, our office launched a pilot program expanding free Vehicle Stickers for many of our City's Veterans. Residents who have an Illinois Driver's License or State ID with a Veteran's designation issued on or before December 31, 2018 will be eligible to receive one Vehicle Sticker for a passenger, large passenger, or motorbike for free.
Ex-Prisoners of War, Purple-Heart Veterans, or disabled veterans with Illinois XP, PR, IS, or DV plates will remain eligible for Chicago City Vehicle Stickers for no fee.
Please note that residents can only take advantage of this offer at Office of the City Clerk locations. There will be no refunds for already-issued stickers; residents will qualify when their sticker is up for renewal.
A Residential Zone Parking Permit may be added for $25.00 if purchaser resides in a Residential Parking Zone.
No-Fee Government Sticker
Chicago City Vehicle Stickers for government vehicles can be obtained at no cost. Please contact the City Clerk’s Data Services Division at 312-742-5375 for more information regarding consulate, city, county, state, or federally-owned vehicles.
Commercial and Non-Commercial Residential Truck Parking
Non-commercial pickup trucks weighing less than 8,000 pounds may park in the City of Chicago – provided certain conditions are met:
- If the non-commercial pickup truck is owned by a city resident and has a current and valid Vehicle Sticker, the owner may park the vehicle on a residential or business street.
- If the non-commercial pickup truck is owned by a non-Chicago resident (e.g., a visitor from the suburbs) and does not have a current and valid Vehicle Sticker, the owner may park the vehicle on a business street.
- Commercial pickup trucks, junk vehicles, and any pickup truck weighing more than 8,000 pounds are prohibited from parking on ANY residential and business streets.
Companies with 25 or More Vehicles
A company with 25 or more vehicles should contact the City Clerk’s Data Services Division at 312-742-5375 for pricing and purchase information.
Please note that a business that owns, rents, or otherwise controls any property in Chicago must obtain a Vehicle Sticker for each vehicle used in Chicago. If your company has Chicago and non-Chicago locations, a Vehicle Sticker is required for every vehicle used in Chicago, even if the vehicle is registered to a non-Chicago address. However, if the vehicle is principally garaged or principally dispatched from a non-Chicago location, and a wheel tax or vehicle tax is required by that non-Chicago location, then your Chicago City Vehicle Sticker will be discounted accordingly.
Demonstration vehicles and vehicles that are owned by car dealerships are required to display a metal tag in place of the standard Vehicle Sticker. This tag costs $91.78 and can be obtained from the Data Services Division of the Office of the City Clerk, 312-742-5375. Dealer tags are not transferable from vehicle to vehicle.
Contractor Parking Placard
A contractor who is engaged in delivery, service, or repair work at a particular address is allowed to park their vehicle within a reasonable distance of the address where such work is being performed if:
- The vehicle is emblazoned with the business name and business license number of its owner
- The customer’s address is clearly displayed on the vehicle’s dashboard
- The vehicle is lawfully parked in accordance with the general parking requirements of Section 9-64-170(a)(3) and (b)(3) of the Municipal Code of Chicago
Parking is permitted only while such work is actually being performed and at no other time. If a service vehicle permit is required, such permit must be obtained.
View the Contractor Parking Placard form.
View the Office of the City Clerk's Professional Service Parking Administrative Rules. (Note: The Professional Service Parking program ended on 12/31/17)
View Chapter 3-56 of the Chicago Municipal Code (governing Vehicle Stickers).