Revenue from the Chicago City Vehicle Sticker Sales Program funds the repair and maintenance of more than 4,000 miles of Chicago streets.
All Chicago residents driving and/or parking a vehicle for which they are responsible in the City of Chicago are subject to the Chicago Wheel Tax and must purchase a Chicago City Vehicle Sticker. This includes Chicago residents that maintain their registration outside of the City of Chicago, but use the vehicle in the City.
If you are a new resident to Chicago or your vehicle is new to you (or both), avoid late fees and only pay for the time you began your residency/purchase date through the sticker expiration date by providing, via email or in person, one of the following items in addition to your vehicle information:
- Lease document proving date of lease of residential property
- Mortgage document or deed proving purchase date of residential property
- Bill of sale from a bona fide vehicle seller/dealership
- Executed vehicle title document (in lieu of bill of sale from bona fide vehicle seller/dealership) – must include VIN
- Customer-copy of a validated Illinois Department of Revenue Official Form: ST-556
- Customer-copy of a validated Illinois Secretary of State Official Form: VSD 190